3.09.2010

Big Baby

I don't know why I bother reading birth stories on due date messageboards, they just make me sad and angry. I was reading some posts by ladies due this month. The first was a girl who wanted a VBAC but last week had an ultrasound that showed her baby was almost 10lbs. So they scheduled a c/s for yesterday. Guess how much the baby weighed? 7lb 11oz. Seriously. Over 2lbs LESS than the u/s showed. And how much do you want to bet when the doctor found out the baby was smaller than they said it was that he said "Well, it's good we did the c/s because your scar was so thin it would have burst if you'd gone into labor!" I swear that's the excuse I always read about when the u/s was way off. The other story is a lady who also wanted a VBAC but had an u/s showing her baby is already...get ready for it... almost 7 lbs! The horrors! Her last baby was 6.5lbs and born by c/s so obviously a 7lb baby would just rip her to shreds. So she has a c/s scheduled for the end of the week (she is about 37wks pg). I'm just so tired of women being denied a VBAC for "big baby" when there really isn't proof they cannot birth a baby that size, even ACOG doesn't recommend automatic c/s for supposedly big babies. And I know so many women who have VBAC'd 10lb+ babies!

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, they are the ones who have to live with their decisions, not me, and maybe they are perfectly happy with it. I wish I could just let it slide. I shouldn't be reading all those birth stories. Probably 4 out of 5 of the women "have" to be induced or have a c/s, usually because their baby is "too big". I hardly ever post any kind of reply to these stories, because it's not my place to hoist my feelings onto them. If they are happy with their birth I have no right to rain on their parade. That's what my last post was about too, keeping my feelings inside of me when something about someone else's birth triggers my emotions. I read a post on a birth trauma message boards once about the saying "ignorance is bliss" and that this lady often wished she didn't know as much as she did about birth so that she could just be fine with how her birth was. I often feel the same. I sometimes wish I didn't know that many c/s are unnecessary, most interventions cause more harm than good, and that doctors don't know everything. Ignorance would be much easier to live with than pain.

No comments: